RandomStringOfWords.com

Feb 2015 07

Modifying Jekyll to track my RV-10 Build Log! Sorta...

Software development Ruby, Jekyll

I love being a programmer. It's one of those things that I truly enjoy and get a real sense of accomplish out of when I can make something work the way I want it to.

I switched to Jekyll as my primary blogging system a while back and haven't looked back. It's been great. Just like my early post says; Blogging like it's 1999! Each page is built as raw html and then pushed to the servers. Fast, secure, easy.

But I wanted to add a special post type "build-log" to my blog so that I could write all about my RV-10 build experience and have it track just like any other blog, but in a different directory structure. This would be basically a blog, within a blog.

I started writing said plugin and it got pretty massive. I was basically having to re-architecture/re-factor all of Jekyll to make it happen and that was just not going to fly. It wouldn't be performant, it would have to be forward/backwards compatible and in the long run maintaining it would suck.

SO I cheated.

I simply deleted the plugin ( and the probably hundred hours I put into making it ) and started a new Jekyll blog for the build log, using all the same views as the main blog.

I then had the build log blog output to a directory structure nested within the main blog. This forced me to go in and move all the files down one directory once it was build but I have a script now that will do it all for me! Ding! I get two complete blogs within one another that are stored in different repo's and build into a single blog. Easy!

Jekyll.. I'm still a huge fan.

Also, with this new addition to the site I have implemented Disqus comments instead of the old facebook comments which were a pain and not very good.

Comments